Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Prague says "Goodbye", Edinburgh says "Hello"... "Hello, Hello!"

My mom and I spent a few wonderful days in Prague as I took her to all my favorite places and showed her life in the Czech Republic. Traveling with parents versus traveling with friends is SO different. While my friends and I are used to slumming it; eating cheap food and drinking way to much beer, I found it refreshing that mom was used to higher standards but I also missed my friends who had all gone home or left for their own travels. On our last day in Prague, hours before catching a plane, friends and I messaged to express our sorrow when we realized that we would all be in Edinburgh (pronounced Edinbra) at the same time! So we enacted "USAC Reunion: Scotland".


Mom and I on the Charles Bridge

Spiking the Malinovka (Raspberry Lemonade) at the Beer Garden

At Cesky Krumlov!

Snapped a picture of mom after she ate a bug! Muahahah!


It was very sad to leave Prague but I used to say that if I got to Scotland I would die happy because I knew all the work and I effort that it would take to get there would mean I've accomplished enough in my life to be happy. Which brings me to another "Lessons Abroad":  

Accomplishing a life goal at twenty can mean that I  am either dreaming too small or am much stronger than I give myself credit for. From now on I'll have to dream even bigger!
Edinburgh is a great city with so much to see in such a small area. We were able to accomplish a lot in two days and will return to the city after visiting my sister in Stirling, Scotland where she has been studying. Many things are strikingly different than Prague. The first, most profound, thing is that people are SO nice! Prague citizens are impersonal and rarely smile or start conversation with strangers. From our first interaction here with the taxi driver to people on the street whom we ask directions, everyone is not just pleasant but extremely nice; laughing and joking with us! 

The second major difference is the nightlife. The Czech Republic has the highest beer consumption per capita in the world and I've got the beer belly to prove it! Although there are many bars here and Magners, Jagger and Ciders are popular the pre-partying starts early around 8pm and everyone shows up to clubs around 11pm but the clubs close at 3am! In Prague, Spain and other places I've traveled pre-partying starts at 11pm and peak time is 3am with closing around 5am except on Sundays. You can imagine my surprise when last call was at 12:30pm. 

But anyway, I am having a wonderful time in Scotland and am sure my great-grandpa as well as other ancestors are smiling down on me as I tour their homeland! Today is a very exciting day as we go to Bridge of Allan where my great-grandfather and his relatives were born! 





Common place where Scots spit in protest of taxes :]


"Moodie"- J.K Rowling author of the Harry Potter series got many of the names of her characters from the gravestones in Edinburgh Graveyard

Grassmarket

Edinburgh Castle and Botanical Gardens

Mom was nice enough hang out with us youngsters. Here we are at the Elephant Cafe  where J.K Rowling wrote the first two books in the Harry Potter series drawing inspiration from the neighborhood she could see out the Cafe's windows.


No comments: